Chat with Chhaya: Easy Tres Leches Cake Recipe
Tres leches means three milks. It's also a very popular Mexican dessert that tastes incredible. I've adapted this recipe from Tastes Better From Scratch.
Here's the recipe:
1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup organic raw cane sugar (do not buy refined)
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
14 ounce can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup fat-free milk
For the whipped topping:
1 pint heavy whipping cream , for Whipping
1 Tablespoons cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, for topping
-Add Lemon zest to your whipped topping
-Add orange zest to your cake batter
1. Combine all your dry ingredients.
2. Separate your eggs into two bowls.
3. Add 1/2 cup sugar to your egg yellows.
4. Mix sugar and eggs until the yellow becomes a pale yellow.
5. Put your egg whites in a mixer. Add 1/4 cup cane sugar.
6. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
7. Add 1/3 cup milk and vanilla to your egg yellow mixture.
8. Add your egg yellow mixture to your dry ingredients. Barely Mix it.
9. Fold your egg white mixture into the cake.
10. Mix everything together.
11. Pour everything into a greased 13x9 pan.
12. Bake your cake for 25-30 minutes.
13. Pull your cake out of the oven and let cool completely.
14. Once cooled, cut your cake into two even halves.
15. Stab holes throughout your cake with either a fork or knife.
16. Mix all three milks in a bowl.
17. Pour milks over both cake halves.
18. Place your cakes in the fridge for an hour.
19. Add your heavy whipping cream to a mixer.
20. Slowly add your sugar and vanilla while whipping.
21. Whip until stiff peaks form.
22. Remove cake from fridge, 23. Frost one layer. Then the other.
24. Decorate and Serve!